- Cleanse with a sulfate-free shampoo. Just like natural curly hair, curly weave hair tends to be dryer than other textures. To help minimize excessive dryness and damage caused by traditional shampoos, try a sulfate-free formula. Sodium lauryl sulfate and sodium laureth sulfate are the ingredients responsible for creating lots of bubbles and lather, but they also strip the hair of essential oils and can cause damage to the follicle, shortening the lifespan of your weave. A gentle non-sulfate shampoo gets the hair clean while maintaining moisture levels.
- Detangle gently. To keep your curly weave looking good for longer, regular detangling is necessary. Section the hair into three or four sections and clip it up. Focusing on one section at a time, gently comb the weave with a wide-tooth or shower comb. Start from the bottom and work your way up to the track. A leave-in conditioning detangler may help the comb glide through the weave easier.
- Avoid blow drying. To prevent frizz and dryness, let your curly weave air dry naturally after washing or wetting. If this is not an option, invest in an ionic hair dryer with an attached diffuser. According to Naturally Curly, diffusers use heat to gently dry hair without the strong force of a typical blow dryer. "You get the benefits of diffused air along with ionic technology, which seals and smooths the cuticle. It helps prevent frizziness while maintaining the curl
- Condition well. Curly hair tends to require more moisture, and curly weave is no exception to the rule. Keep your weave well hydrated by using thick, moisturizing conditioners every time you shampoo. For deeper hydration, apply a moisturizing hair mask or deep conditioner to the weave at least once a week. To boost absorption, sit under a warm dryer with a shower cap over the head, or wrap the hair in a warm, moist towel for 10 to 20 minutes.
- Use a silicone product to contain frizz. products containing silicones help reduce friction from combing, reduce static electricity, soften the hair and improve curl retention. They also impart a glossy, healthy-looking sheen to the hair while preventing frizz. Once you've styled your curly weave, apply a small amount of a silicone serum or spray to help extend the style. Look for products containing dimethicone or cyclomethicone.
Thursday, January 20, 2011
Posted by HAIRBYMZFELICIA at 2:36 PM